This time, I’d like to share tips for puppy cold since it is getting cold.
Its symptoms include cough, runny nose, sleep, fever, lethargy, and loss of appetite.
If flu lasts more than a week, it can turn into pneumonia, so you should take your puppy to the vet as soon as possible if you think your puppy got flu.
I’d like to share how to treat your puppy when it gets flu.
Best way to fight back to flu is to eat and rest well.
Here are good dog foods for flu:
- How Pear Cider – pear is also good for human cold. If it is too hard to make hot pear cider, chop a pear in tiny pieces, mix them with honey, and put it in the microwave oven for couple minutes.
- High Protein Foods – boiled egg yolk can be the easiest high protein food that you can feed your sick puppy. But try not to feed too much to avoid diarrhea.
Here are some tips to treat symptoms:
- Cough – best way to treat cough is to keep humidity. You may put humidifier or even wet towel in the room to keep it humid. However, if your puppy coughs for so long, more than a week, you should take it to the vet for either kennel cough or , in worst case, canine distemper.
- Snot – clean it with wet tissue (baby tissue) frequently in gentle manner. If snot has turned into yellow, that means it is getting worse, so you should take your puppy to the vet when you see yellow snot on nose.
- Sleep – gently remove sleep on both eyes with eye drops and wet tissue. Do not use your fingers to remove sleeps since your hands may cause bacterial infection. Also, do not forget to keep eye area dry. You may use hair dryer.
- Fever – check his nose. If it is dry, he has fever. Keep it warm and humid. Do not forget to provide enough water.
- Loss of Appetite – provide high protein foods. The best way to feed high protein food is to mix with regular dog food to prevent imbalanced diet.
- Lethargy – Good rest is always the best treatment for lethargy. Also, having play time with your puppy can help him recover from lethargy.
Here are tips to avoid catching a dog flu:
- Do not wash your puppy.
- Provide dog bed or blanket to keep its abdomen warm.
- Ventilate the room often to get fresh air.
- Clean the room well.
- Block cold air.
Hope this help you to prevent dog flu in this season.
Be well everybody!